Sunday, March 27, 2011

Our First Worm Bin

This is something we have wanted to do for along time on the farmstead. It was one of those projects that just seemed to get pushed to the back of the list every time up until 2 weeks ago. My son is finishing up the second grade in our homeschooling so it was a perfect opportunity to wrap it into the end of a year science project.

We decided to go with the simple storage bin idea that has been around for ages now. The reasoning was #1 price, as the total cost for all 3 bins were under $20. The next being a fairly simplistic idea so he could do it himself. With a little help from me, he did almost everything which was rewarding for both of us. :)

I won't bore you with the building details as there are already countless youtube videos and websites that outline such projects already. However, I will add a few things that I wish we would have done.

1- Add some sort of screen liner to block the air holes up. The fruit fly's and gnats are causing havoc! From what research I have done it doesn't look they will be harmful, just awfully annoying!

2- Let the worms get adjusted for a week or two before adding food. The food is starting to stink before they are able to consume what's there (maybe too much added).

3- Finally, I would have tried to find a local source for worms. Doing the mail order thing is fine, no probs but if we purchased from someone local I feel we could have gained some first hand knowledge and perhaps a friend. :)

It was a fun project to do with him and can't wait to start our bee's next week. My little man is getting so big. I try to enjoy every moment we have doing this stuff together. :) Have a great week everyone!


  1. Very much enjoying reading! Keep it up. :)

  2. Great read! I just started a worm farm with my two boys ... they absolutely love it.